Rite of Christian Initiation
The Catholic Church welcomes new members & forms disciples for a lifetime relationship with Christ in the Church through the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). RCIA is a process of intellectual, spiritual, and moral formation that prepares individuals for initiation into the Catholic Church. New members are welcome at any time!
I look forward to class each Sunday, and am sad to see it come to an end.
I feel very comfortable when I come each week and have learned so much.
2015-2016 program participant
RCIA is designed for those who have not been baptized; those who have been baptized in another faith tradition; and Catholics who were baptized but never received Holy Communion or Confirmation.
- Inquiry – This initial stage gives you a chance to explore the Catholic Christian faith with others. We meet once a week to reflect on how God is calling us and what it means to have faith in Jesus. There is plenty of time to ask questions and discern if this is the right step for you.
- Rite of Election – If you choose to go on toward baptism and/or confirmation, you will then participate in the Rite of Election and continue your formation as a catechumen (a person who has never been baptized) or a candidate (a person who has already been baptized).
- Celebration of the Sacraments of Initiation – Your formation prepares you to celebrate the Sacraments on Holy Saturday (the night before Easter) at the Easter Vigil Mass. This is not the end, but rather the beginning of your life as a fully initiated disciple!
- Mystagogy – We continue to gather a few times during the Easter Season to further reflect on the “mysteries of faith” and deepen our understanding of what it means to live as Christ’s disciples.
Baptismal records are needed prior to the Rite of Election for those that have been baptized in another Catholic or Christian Church.
We look forward to meeting you and accompanying you on your journey into the Church!
RCIA starts: September 11th, 2019
- Classes are Wednesday evenings from 6:45 p.m. – 8:15 p.m. in the St. Joseph Room (located across the hall from the Sacred Heart Chapel at the southwest side of the Cathedral)
Director, Director of Faith Formation
Coordinator, RCIA Coordinator